- 3 large, green bell peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1-2, 14-ounce cans diced, fire roasted tomatoes, juice and all (I use Heinz)
- 1, 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1, 10-ounce can beef broth
- 1/2 cup Heinz 57 Sauce
- 6-8 whole all spice berries, crushed
- 1/2 cup raw, long-grain rice
- 1/4- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1-2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 -2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- optional: Chipotle chili powder according to taste/heat (a few shakes is all one needs)
Chop green peppers. Do not dice. If chopped too small, they disintegrate under pressure. Chop onions.
Saute ground beef, onions and peppers in the instant pot on the "medium" setting. Once brown, add tomato paste and cook for a few minutes. Add all other ingredients. Mix well. Taste for seasonings.
Secure lid to Instant Pot. Seal vent. Cook for five minutes on regular setting. Allow a natural release. Remove lid. Serve as is or remove to a casserole dish and sprinkle with cheese of your choice. Place under broiler to melt.