|Corned beef is a great summer dish!|
Well, that's how I felt the other day in the grocery store. Some of the corned beef was marked way down because they were "close-dated." I was ecstatic! I bought one two-and-a-half pound beauty for $5.20!!! And then another for a little over seven bucks! Wow! Just like "the old days" when food was affordable.
- 1, 2.5-3 lb. corned beef
- 1-2 carrots, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 rib celery, roughly chopped
- 1/2 half large onion, roughly chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, smashed, peels and all
- 1-2 teaspoons pickling spice
- 1-2, 14.5 oz. cans whole new potatoes
Bring to a slow boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to LOW and simmer, covered, about 45-60 minutes per pound or until the prongs of a carving fork pierce the roast with little resistance.
I prefer the 'flat-end' cut of corned beef. It is uniform in thickness compared to a 'point-end.' I also like an even layer of fat on it.