Have you missed me? I have missed me!
Working full-time since January has certainly changed my schedule and life. And how I cook and what I eat.
Be that as it may ... Regardless of my age ... I will post this recipe I have made several times. Yes, it is rich. Even decadent. Great for a special occasion. Or a day when you are ticked off at the entire world and want revenge! Or, when you are just really tired and want something comforting. Saucy. Buttery. Bad.
Do serve over white rice, wild rice, mashed or silky wide noodles. The "gravy" is uplifting. Yes, we all need to be uplifted ... Is not that what food is all about?
I used a natural, whole chicken that I cut into two leg quarters and then two whole breasts. I saved the wings and the back for the stock pot. Use bone-in, skin-on chicken. Yes, that is what super heroes consume ... not flabby, rubbery fillets ...
- 2.5 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces, washed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour mixed with one teaspoon seasoned salt and one teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces chopped celery
- 4 ounces chopped red onion
- 1-2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 8-12 ounces sliced mushrooms (white, Bella, mixed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh-minced thyme or one teaspoon dried thyme flakes
- 2-3 tablespoons dried onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional but really do not skip)
- Cayenne pepper, pinch or two (optional)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- Using same can, 3/4 can dry white wine or dry sherry (I prefer sherry) and 3/4 can chicken stock
- 1/2 - 1-cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
Dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour mixture. Set aside.
In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven, heat 1/4 inch of oil. Do not be stingy. Add chicken. Brown on both sides ... about 8-10 minutes. Remove to a plate.
Lower heat. Add onion and celery to the drippings. Saute until soft and tender. Add garlic. Stir until fragrant. Add a bit of pepper.
Now add the mushroom soup, wine or sherry and chicken stock. Stir until smooth. Add dried onion soup mix.
Nestle the browned chicken pieces into the sauce. Top with mushrooms. Cover. Simmer on LOW for one - two hours. DO NOT BOIL!
Last ten minutes or so, add sour cream. A bit of butter. Stir until creamy and smooth.