Rich. Decadent. Bursting with flavor. And so easy!
Use as a main meal with a side of salad and broccoli. Or use as a side with beef or chicken. Either way, this recipe is a win-win. It's even good, cold!
Because it's under pressure, cut the veggies a bit larger than you would normally. I have found the saute mode on the Instant Pot to be a bit on the hot side. To brown the sausage, keep it moving so it does not scorch. Sometimes I simply lift the liner out for a bit so it does not get too hot.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage (I use medium, not sweet)
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped (not diced)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped (not diced)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1, 8-ounce package sliced white mushrooms
- 1, 2.25-ounce can sliced black olives, drained and rinsed
- 1, 10-ounce can Rotel Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Chilies
- 1, 14.5 can reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1, 16-ounce brick Velveeta Original Cheese
- 1.5 cups raw, long grained rice (I use Uncle Ben's Converted Rice)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Place Instant Pot on saute mode. Add a bit of butter and olive and saute green pepper, yellow onion and mushrooms just until they begin to turn a bit soft. Add a bit of salt and pepper. Last, add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove mixture to a plate.
Add a bit of olive oil to the IP and add sausage. Cook until no longer pink and it is crumbly. Keep the sausage moving so it does not scorch. Add the rice and stir for about one minute. If mixture is too dry, add a bit more olive oil.
Add the vegetable mixture. Stir. Add the chicken broth, Rotel tomatoes and smoked paprika. Stir. Taste for seasonings. Mix in the black olives. Allow to come to a simmer.
Shut off saute mode. Lock lid into place. Put vent on sealing. Cook on high pressure for five minutes.
When finished, allow to sit in pot for about ten minutes.
Vent the pot. Remove lid. Begin adding chunks of Velveeta stirring as you go until it melts. I use the entire brick, but you don't have to.
Post a Comment