The simple addition of fresh cranberries and minced ginger spice up applesauce for a great holiday presentation. Try to use a variety of apples and always include one Yellow Delicious.
- 4 apples (about 2 lbs.) peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, picked over
- 1/2 - 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup apple juice or water, but not more
- 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 3-inch strip of lemon zest removed with vegetable peeler
- 1 tablespoon chopped, crystallized ginger
- 1/16 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
In a heavy saucepan, cook the apples, cranberries, sugar, apple juice or water, cinnamon stick, lemon and ginger over moderate heat, stirring until apples are soft, 15-25 minutes. Cranberries will have "popped" turning mixture pink.
Remove from heat and discard lemon zest and cinnamon stick. Place in food processor and pulse until smooth. Taste. Add butter and vanilla. Taste and add more sugar if necessary. Place in bowl and sprinkle with cinnamon. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.